People Powered Health is a programme from NESTA, the UK innovation charity, to support the design and delivery of innovative services for people that are living with long term health conditions.
The programme focuses on co-production – that people’s needs are better met when they are involved in an equal and reciprocal relationship with professionals – working together to get things done. It is a radical approach to public services that is built around six characteristics:
– Recognising people as assets
– Building on people’s capabilities
– Promoting mutuality and reciprocity
– Developing peer support networks
– Breaking down barriers between professionals and users
– Facilitating rather than delivering