He pointed me to a number of interesting Design Council publications. They are all available for download:
- Futureproofed: A look at why the UK needs design and a report on the Design Council’s work across business, the public sector and the design industry
- Red Paper 01 Health – Co-creating Services: A new ‘co-creation’ approach to health care is set out in this paper from the Design Council’s RED unit
- The Business of Design – Design industry research 2005:In-depth research on the UK’s design industry providing detailed data on everything from scale and economic clout to education and skills.
- The Impact of School Learning Environments – A Literature Review: An overview of academic research commissioned for the Design Council’s Learning Environments Campaign
- Learning Environments Campaign Prospectus – From the Inside Looking Out: How can we create school environments fit for learning in the 21st century? This prospectus answers the question
- Touching the State: Can design improve our encounters with the state? Our Touching the State project asked the question, and the answers feature in a magazine full of insights and opinions.
- RED Film 01: Health (mov file, 8.9 mb): this short film tells the story of two Design Council projects that used design methods to innovate in heatlh and to develop new concepts for supporting self-management and enabling healthy lifestyles
- dott07: this is a ten-year program in North-East England, lead by John Thackara, about supporting and encouraging design as central to the future economic and social success of the UK. The brochure is not online, but it contains not much more than the text of the website.
Click here for an overview of all Design Council publications.