Nova Spivack, founder and CEO of Twine, reflects in an smart foresight article on ReadWriteWeb on the future of the desktop, now that everything is moving to “the cloud”.
Here are his predictions:
- The desktop of the future is going to be a hosted web service
- The browser is going to swallow up the desktop
- The focus of the desktop will shift from information to attention
- Users are going to shift from acting as librarians to acting as daytraders
- The Webtop will be more social and will leverage and integrate collective intelligence
- The desktop of the future is going to have powerful semantic search and social search capabilities built-in
- Interactive shared spaces will replace folders
- The portable desktop
- The smart desktop
- Federated, open policies and permissions
- The personal cloud
- The WebOS
- Who is most likely to own the future desktop?