By Us, For Us: The power of co-design and co-delivery
At the core of a People Powered Health approach is collective ownership of health and wellbeing. Professionals need to start from the position of not necessarily knowing the right answer, which is a significant challenge. Creating a health system driven by the people within it, not by the institutions that provide care, requires engagement in all stages – in designing, delivering or using, and in evaluating the service. This recognises that those who provide and experience services should have an equal say and role in how services are designed and delivered.
This requires going beyond ‘engagement’, ‘involvement’ and ‘person-centred’ towards real co-design and co-delivery at every level of the health service. There are many definitions, and many facets, of co-design and co-delivery. What all of them have in common is an ethos and recognition that those who provide and experience services should have an equal say and role in how such services are designed and delivered.
By us, For us: the power of co-design and co-delivery is one in a series of learning products which explain why People Powered Health works, what it looks like and the key features needed to replicate success elsewhere.
It draws on the experience of the six teams who took part in People Powered Health, which was led by Nesta and Innovation Unit from summer 2011 to winter 2012.
The series includes:
- People Powered Health, health for people, by people and with people, foreword by the Kingâ€™s Fund
- The Business of People Powered Health: building the business case, foreword by the NHS Confederation/li>
- By us, For us: the power of co-design and co-delivery, foreword by National Voices/li>
- More than Medicine: new services for People Powered Health, foreword by Macmillan/li>
- Networks that Work: partnerships for integrated care services, foreword by ACEVO/li>
- People Helping People: peer support that changes lives, foreword by MIND/li>
- People Powered Commissioning: embedding innovation in practice, foreword by NAPC/li>
- Redefining Consultations: changing relationships at the heart of health, foreword by the Royal College of GPâ€™s/li>